LEARNING TO LOVE
OUR NEW CITY
BY LACING UP!
My Chapter 2 Experiment from This is Where You Belong by Melody Warnick
I literally HATE walking. It hurts my feet. It hurts my legs. I huff and puff. And nobody likes to walk with a turtle like me. IF this chapter had REALLY been about walking, I would have tossed this book in the rubbish.
But it's not.
It is a how-to of one of the big Mom-ism that my daughters will never forget: KNOW where you are in the world. Especially geographically.
The author's checklist is a way to start CONNECTING with that geography. CONNECTING creates BONDING creates ATTACHMENT and doing this with your city brings PLACE ATTACHMENT, at least theoretically.
Here's what happened to the theory in real life:
TASK 1:
Get a map (I used one of those old fashioned PAPER maps!) and draw a circle around your address with a 1 mile radius. Then walk or bicycle that mile from all directions so you can do errands, buy stuff, get to know people. Eat.
RESULT 1:
FAILURE
Bicycling is a "long ago dream" and, it's too hilly where we live to for Steve, Holly, or me to even walk much around the neighborhood. (OK...I know that's odd because I grew up in West Virginia but, hey, I'm old now! And Holly has a bum knee.) Even if I could do the mile, it would not matter because there's only one thing to do (golf!) within that 1 mile radius. Don't believe me?
The Walk Score of our address is a big fat 2, with 100 being the most walkable and 0 being pretty much UNWalkable. What’s the walk score of YOUR address? https://www.walkscore.com
TASK 2:
Explore unfamiliar areas with a GPS. By foot or bicycle.
RESULT 2:
So-So
If we RELIED on GPS or Siri to get us places here, we would be lost constantly! Clearly, google updates are in order! Plus phones and internet are kind of sketchy in this neck of the woods. Amazing in a place that birthed Microsoft and now houses INTEL!But all is not lost. EVERYTHING is unfamiliar and my daughters will testify that I have always done these adventures (in a car) because I'm like UPS...I don't generally make left turns.
So in my 1 mile radius of The City of Vision, I have now learned how to meander around housing developments, where traffic vans sit (pretty much EVERYWHERE!), what neighborhoods seem to have the most repair vehicles, which houses are older and where the in-fill is developing, how to get in and out of my street the back way. Yeah, I think this task produced a sliver of connection.
TASK
Go on an historic walking tour. We trudged all over OLD TOWN ALBUQUERQUE for this because our own city was only incorporated in 1981 whereas ABQ touts a 300+ year history though not incorporated until 1885. (NOTE: OLD TOWN is now a fun, touristy place. So Steve drove us through the older part of the real downtown ABQ. Not gentrified much yet, this area is with peppered with hole-in-the-wall eateries that Steve loves to discover but also heartbreaking homelessness.)
RESULT:
FAILURE
While the walking tour enamored us of ABQ, it didn't really connect us to our place, which is about 30-45 minutes from ABQ if we stay on the back roads.
TASK:
The book ticks off a number of other things one can do to almost FORCE more people to walk the same 1 mile radius but we're not into commandeering a group. For now, this is a family experiment for us. However, the suggestion for individuals to try to draw from memory the things around the 1 mile was worth a gander and sharpened our mindfulness when we were out and about.
RESULT:
So-So
I can draw stoplights, stop signs, some road names, a few vacant lots, the golf course, and some plants that are very near our address. It really did help me to better "know where I am in the world." I think the timeline for this connection could be boosted by a photographic tour (in our case, by the passenger in the car, of course!)On the TV show SHARK TANK I recently watched a woman who failed at making apple jam turn the mistake into plant based honey! Likewise, I think the mostly failed results of my Chapter 1 experiment turned into HONEY because....
Although our neighborhood isn't very walkable, the parks in our city are plentiful and offer a Prescription Trail Number. A park with the highest number 3 offers challenging walking areas for the physically fit but a 1 offers accessible, easy walking space. For turtles like me! YAHOO...we live near a 1! I don't know if all states have Prescription Trails, but check out https://prescriptiontrails.org for New Mexico's.
Only it's NOT the walking at the park that matters so much in CONNECTING....it's the OTHER park feature upon which we stumbled that's the real honey for attachment:
DOG PARKS!
Day or evening!
Old or young!
THIS is the place to connect with people that have a common interest.
Conversations strike right up:
"Where did you get him? Can you suggest a vet? Where do you buy her dog food?"
Research shows that is NOT just OUR FAMILY's experiences. For the very reasons noted above, dog parks are the fastest growing segment of municipal parks today! It's good for the dogs, it's good for the people, and it's good for the CITY. http://journalistsresource.org/studies/society/culture/how-cities-may-benefit-from-dog-parks
And DOG PARKS ARE really, really good
for PLACE ATTACHMENT.
But back to walking....
Although the purpose of Warnick’s walking wasn’t fulfilled by her task list on what I now call PLACE WALKING, park walking has proved prosperous as a prayer walking and health benefit. I plan to delve into those in my next postings, though they are off the beaten path from the book.
NEXT EXPERIMENT: Prayer Walking.
And then Health Walking.
NEXT EXPERIMENT: Prayer Walking.
And then Health Walking.
No comments:
Post a Comment