THE HASHTAG TALK
Is it because I'm staring?
Or is the momentum of LOCAL really steaming ahead all around the US?
I'm not sure of the answer, but I am seeing more FB messages promoting and more people talking about the BUY LOCAL movement than ever before in my life.
Jill Spitz, managing editor of the The Arizona Daily Star, recently initiated a website/FB page that, in part, highlights cool locally owned businesses, charities, and entertainment. I call it new age hippie stuff. http://tucson.com/thisistucson/ BTW, Jill is one of the most connected people I know in Tucson; I think she exemplifies healthy place attachment. She invests astounding time and energy in local entities that matter to her, such as the progressive Tucson Chinese Cultural Center and her son's unique charter school (all I did when my girls went to the same school was show up...an attitude that perhaps flows over into why I never felt very attached to Tucson)
A little more traditional, I think, is how my new friend Sherry Abraham shines light on local business at the other end of Albuquerque from us through her connections with the Town Council and the Edgewood Chamber of Commerce. Ribbon Cuttings. Promotions on Facebook. Fun Events.
On a wider scale, the Independence Business Alliance and affiliates have ramped up LOCAL campaigns all across the country. Among other things, they initiate events Like Small Business Saturday, Buy Local Month...and did you know there's now even a
RECORD STORE DAY?
Rio Rancho can start celebrating this because an old ABQ record store was re-invented in RR when Cristy Records opened the door here on Nov 17. The goal is to promote New Mexico artists though the store is also a museum for musical history. Sounds like a happy place for bohemians and boomers alike!
Research indicates that MORE PEOPLE ARE BUYING LOCAL AND IT MATTERS. The IBA website notes that "a 2015 survey of more than 3000 business owners, independent business in communities with a long-term “buy local and independent campaign” reported revenue growth of 9.3%, nearly double the 4.9% increase for independent businesses not served by such efforts." http://www.amiba.net/buy-local-campaigns/
Did you notice?
Local businesses INCREASED revenue in 2015
EVEN
EVEN
WITHOUT THE BUY LOCAL HULLABALOO.
But WITH IT, the revenue was more than twice as much!
So I'd say social media, personal examples,
and research converge to show that
the mushrooming of the local movement is real,
and I would likely see it a lot
even if I were not looking at the faces of it.
BUT...is it good to get a "ticket to ride" on this fast moving LOCAL train?
That depends on WHY you're riding.
No doubt, buying local circulates money around the local economy, and gives governments more funds to create better living conditions for all citizens. Like all the parks in Rio Rancho!
Based on that, local IS win-win. Mostly.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BUT....I'm riding this train because I want to attach to my new community, and BUY LOCAL is one way Melody Warnick's book "The Art and Science of Loving the Place You Live" indicates I can start to make PLACE ATTACHMENT. Local, when it all aligns right, makes me FEEL HAPPY. It makes me want to STAY here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If the reason for your ticket is to cut expenses,
I'd advise jumping off the caboose.
For me and for now, PLACE ATTACHMENT supersedes the full ride of financial savings programs such as Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.
Sorry, but LOCAL does not equal
short-term FRUGAL.
It just doesn't.
_______________________________________________________________
As aside here, I want to inject that PLACE ATTACHMENT is not JUST for career movers like my family. I think it could really help missionaries, internationally adopted children, foreign exchange students, refugees, and college students find HOW TO BELONG TO THEIR NEW LIFE better, quicker.
_______________________________________________________________
##howmuchistoomuch##
FINDING THE SWEET SPOT FOR LOCAL
When my daughter bought a used car this year, the salesman (boyfriend-in-fact of another daughter) told us he needed to find the sweet spot. That's the right price for the safest car daughter could afford -- sometimes that's not the lowest price, all things considered. It's rarely the highest price.
I now view LOCAL that way. It IS too much to shell out 50% more at a local store for a book than what I could buy it for on amazon. That's way over my personal "sweet spot." On the other hand, if I can buy a book by a LOCAL author, that might be different.
##whataboutquality&consistency##
Is Local ALWAYS better?
In my readings about localism, I ran across a cash mob that was trying to help a New York City eatery stay in business for about the 10th time in a year. Problem was, ALL the reviews of this place were bad...the food was awful, the service was terrible, and the health department warnings kept coming. To me, that's a business that needed to fade away. And one that does more harm than good for the local business community.
LOCAL DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK...
OR WORK QUITE RIGHT
You know where things are, what the quality is, the hours, and have an idea of how much it will cost when you step into a Walmart, MacDonald's or Albertson's. Some of the challenges we faced when seeking local sources include:
- We tried to buy meat at a NM shop, but had no idea how to gage the quality or the cost. After looking around some, we walked out frustrated without anything in hand. It's rare, in my experience, for locally owned places to have poor customer service -- but it DOES happen.
- We tried to do local farmer's markets but all we've found so far have closed for the the winter.
- We've tried a variety of local eateries...and we won't go back to some. A few just had horrible food. But mostly we're spoiled by Arizona's fantastic no smoking policies. In New Mexico, customers are still allowed to smoke on restaurant patios, and people can smoke anywhere outside a building. That's not for us -- we don't even want to walk in or out of such places.
LOCAL DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK...
OR WORK QUITE RIGHT
##whatislocalanyway##
Do you want to be a localist?
I want to BE part of the movement.
GIVE LOCAL
Hey, as I've researched, snapshot, and written about the local movement, it all percolated in me one morning at CAFE BELLA: I want to go beyond searching the BUY RIO RANCHO website for "for products, services, businesses, food & events" in the City of Vision.
![]() |
| Our favorite at the TASTE OF RIO RANCHO |
BUY RIO RANCHO
engages the community in many ways, such as the SIGN DESIGN contest for students attending a Rio Rancho high school and events like the Taste of Rio Rancho that feature local eateries.
But RR'S vision dims a bit for regular people who want to become a LOCALIST. To partner with BUY RIO RANCHO, I'd have to shell out
"Only $30/month (or $300/year if paid in full)"
to
Support [My[ Local Community While
Promoting [My] Business or Organization
At this time, I don't HAVE a business or organization. And I'm not paying $300 or $360 JUST to feel some authentic authority to promote Rio Rancho businesses.
But...WAIT...for ONLY $20 a year (yes, A YEAR!) I CAN get that joy from joining LOCAL FIRST ARIZONA! Maybe that's why this organization is the largest and fast growing of the kind in the nation! Doesn't their entreaty below just make YOU want to be a part of where YOU live?
"The Localist program is Local First Arizona's individual membership program. Stand up and support YOUR community by proudly declaring, “I am a Localist!” This is much, much more than a run-of-the-mill loyalty program for individuals. Being a Localist isn’t only about discounts and freebies (although there will be those, too). As a Localist, you are part of a movement that supports local businesses and has fun along the way!" https://www.localfirstaz.com/localist
Since half our offspring are in Arizona, I'm seriously thinking of joining.
But only as a default.
Because I really want THAT individual option,
for me AND my neighbors, HERE.
I want to BELONG where I LIVE.
Since BUY RIO RANCHO doesn't work for me......I wonder about
Because I really want THAT individual option,
for me AND my neighbors, HERE.
I want to BELONG where I LIVE.
Since BUY RIO RANCHO doesn't work for me......I wonder about
CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE?
Are they even stoking the fires these days?
My other question is -- why in the world do these local organizations exist in the first place? WHERE is the Chamber of Commerce? WHY are they not doing this LOCAL work?
In Tucson, I remember that over the years the Chamber's fees grew so high that it eventually started losing membership because it priced out places like the small local business where I worked.
After attending a business forum in Rio Rancho that featured a speaker from the local Chamber, I sensed a different feel, a true "what is ALL we can do to help ALL businesses in the area" and it meant home-based all the way up to huge government contract businesses.
Therein, though, lies the conflict -- locally owned businesses are only ONE part of the chamber's mandate and they can't spend ALL their limited resources for that ONE part. I suspect that's what spurred the growth of organizations like BUY RIO RANCHO, LOCAL FIRST ARIZONA, and hundreds more like them all over the U.S.
Therein, though, lies the conflict -- locally owned businesses are only ONE part of the chamber's mandate and they can't spend ALL their limited resources for that ONE part. I suspect that's what spurred the growth of organizations like BUY RIO RANCHO, LOCAL FIRST ARIZONA, and hundreds more like them all over the U.S.
And it's needed more than ever!
amazon IS cheaper, easier, faster
Wayfair.com is a wonderland for homeowners -- their so-called free shipping sure appeals to me! (Even better, I don't even have to find a truck to go get the item!)
On the other hand, I love, love, love local furniture and book stores. I've only found book stores outside of Rio Rancho so for now, I check out the Friends of the Library store for used books. I'm eager to visit Furniture Cottage, a local consignment store on Southern Blvd., the street where I do 90% of my business. This week Holly & I bought our dog a sweater from a locally owned pet supply store over there -- BECAUSE they let him try the sweater on first!
Even our insurance agent is on that street...now that's another question. Is an insurance agent LOCAL IF his office is an affiliate of a nationwide company?
Even our insurance agent is on that street...now that's another question. Is an insurance agent LOCAL IF his office is an affiliate of a nationwide company?
That's why I think there are levels of localists:
- PURISTS -- no way is the insurance agent local
- MODERATES -- insurance agent is sort of local
- INCIDENTALS -- insurance agent is local all the way
Just like the proliferation of Polar Express trains these days, the THINK LOCAL trains are plastering our world with reminders to
THRIVE LOCAL
BUY LOCAL
SHOP LOCAL
EAT LOCAL
READ LOCAL (Watch for a separate blog on this!)
ENTERTAIN LOCAL
SERVE LOCAL
GIVE LOCAL
In ABQ's Aquarium, there's even a sign that encourages people to TRASH LOCAL!
Are YOU a localist? Tell me about it!

No comments:
Post a Comment